Wednesday, October 12, 2011

On Fire but Not Burning

Exodus 1-6

This is the beginning of the story of Moses. While I read it I heard the song "Pharaoh, Pharaoh" playing over and over again in my head. I could even remember the hand signs that went with it. Reading these chapters got me to thinking; what would I do if God showed up to send me somewhere in a burning bush. A bush, mind you, that is only on fire not actually burning. Would I believe it was God speaking to me? I believe He speaks to me daily, but not through a burning bush and not to tell me to lead many people out of a land run by a mean-spirited man. I am afraid I would doubt He was there. Does that mean He wouldn't speak to me in that manner or does that mean He would try to break through my doubt? I wish that I had faith that I would believe He would try to speak to me in such a manner. Why is it so hard for me to believe He could or even would? I believe myself to be generally optimistic, but why am I so pessimistic in regards to something like this?

Still drawing a blank!

What would you do if God showed up in a burning bush?

2 comments:

  1. This ties right in to the Bible study I am doing right now on Jonah--let me write a little part from Priscilla Shirer's "Jonah Navigating a Life Interrupted"...Picture a stunning encounter with God (...burning bush?). You don't have any doubt who is speaking to you. You know it is God Himself. He gives you clear instructions to quit your high-paying job, immediately sell the house you just purchased last year and everything in it, pack up your family, and move to Kenya to minister to a primitive tribe that He will direct you to. [then she gives you some choices of what your next step might be] How you responded to the above hypothetical situation may reveal how you respond when God's divine interruption [the whole premise of the study] requires only slight lifestyle modifications. page 29-30. SOOO... the question may be "If God speaks to us in a burning bush, we will run like Jonah ran?" ... thoughts to ponder as we think about Moses and his burning bush. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very closely related. Really gets your mind and heart thinking about those things.

    ReplyDelete