Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Do you envy?

Day 16 – Job 5-7

Job 5:2 “Resentment kills a fool, and envy slays the simple.

Are you like me and find yourself falling into the role of a fool and/or simple person?  Your heart occupying resentment and envy?  Man, these are two things that so easily creep up on us!  Why is it that so often we are not happy with what we have or have accomplished?  Why do we tend to look at others and desire their belongings or accomplishments?  Sometimes I think we can lose opportunities when we are looking at someone else’s’ life.  Opportunities that give us a chance to have our own accomplishments.  We are too busy wanting what others have that we don’t take care or appreciate what we do have.  It is foolish and simple to have resentment and envy in our hearts, but so hard to avoid.  Shoot, everyday I think “I wish I had…” or “If only I had…” or “I want to do…”  And to change that might just be one of the biggest challenges to myself, but I am going to give it a shot!  Start thinking “I am so lucky to have…” or “I’m glad I did…” or “I am happy to be able to…”  And what about the other end of resentment and envy?  Why is it we want to be the object of resentment and envy? “I will be the envy of…”  Why is it we strive for that?  Should that really be the goal?  It seems to motivate so many of us, but why?  I am not sure that is any better than being envious.  Shouldn’t we just want to do us and live the life we are given?  Who are we trying so hard to impress?  Why do we even care so much?  God is the judge and He isn’t going to be envious.

Resentment and envy free… my new model… I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment