Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fear or Respect

Day 22 – Job 28

Job 28:28 “And he said to the human race, “The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.”

Why is it that so many are afraid to ”fear” the Lord?  Not afraid because of God, but because of others.  Why is it norm to deny God rather than openly love and fear Him?  If it is wise to fear Him, why don’t more people?  In today’s society most of us have grown to believe that we should fear nothing.  When did fear become so horrible?  Especially fear of God.  A power so strong He could wipe us all out.  Shoot, that is someone to fear!  However, I am starting to wonder if the fear should be more of a respect.  For example, when we are children we do or don’t do things because of fear of punishment from our parents.  As we grew it became more knowing and understanding right from wrong.  As we reached “adulthood” our decisions, becoming more intense, we’re not only driven by right versus wrong, but I truly believe also out of respect for our parents.  I no longer fear my parents, but still keep them in mind out of respect.  Some decisions I make are a reflection of who I am, and therefore a reflection of them.  As it is this way with parents, I believe it is the same with God.  I don’t believe I will ever NOT fear God, but I believe Christians do a lot of our decision making based off of a respect for such an awesome power.

No comments:

Post a Comment