Tuesday, November 9, 2010

You? A Bible Reader?

Day 19 – Job 15-19

In these four chapters I didn’t find anything that “spoke” to me.  It is possible that nothing did because I am a little distracted, so I am going to write about what is distracting me.  I was telling a friend of mine the other day about the day I was having and I mentioned reading the Bible.  She looks at me and says “I didn’t know you were a Bible reader”.  I said “Well I don’t put it on my resume, but yeah.”  She chuckled and quickly changed the subject.  For some reason I have been thinking about these two statements a lot.  If she is my friend shouldn’t she know how I spend my time? And I guess that isn’t even the point.  I don’t tell people in passing conversation that I read the Bible and we had first met at work so it had never come up before, but the assumption that I don’t read the Bible is what I believe has got me bewildered.  So I have been thinking about what it is that I do or say which has people assuming I am not Bible reading material.  Yes, I curse, but I have heard pastors curse.  So being a developer and cursing equals not Bible reading material?  I am a kind person who works hard and won’t let anyone walk on me at work, so because I don’t allow people to take advantage of me means I can’t possibly read the Bible?  Being stubborn as an ox, does that make me someone who wouldn’t read the Bible?  I am very perplexed by this.  For the last 8 years I have stopped wearing my beliefs on my sleeve and believe it is a good thing.  But now I am perceived by people who are my friends to not be someone who reads the Bible.  Okay for the last eight years I have mostly lived a life of a non Bible reader, but these folks met me in the last couple years.  Met me in a time of change for my life.  Is it because I go to clubs and drink and dance?  Because I know that a lot of the folks they run into at bars on Saturday either went to church before or will go Sunday morning.  Why is it that so many people perceive Bible reading Christians to be boring, non social individuals?  And why is it that those who don’t read the Bible and are my friends assume I don’t?  Is it something I need to do differently or is it them?

No comments:

Post a Comment