Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When the Sun Goes Down

Day 21 – Job 24-27

Job 24:13-17 “There are those who rebel against the light, who do not know its ways or stay in its paths. When daylight is gone, the murderer rises up, kills the poor and needy, and in the night steals forth like a thief. The eye of the adulterer watches for dusk; he thinks, ‘No eye will see me,’ and he keeps his face concealed. In the dark, thieves break into houses, but by day they shut themselves in; they want nothing to do with the light.  For all of them, midnight is their morning; they make friends with the terrors of darkness.

These verses make me think of the saying “nothing good happens after midnight”.  I don’t know who the first person was to say that to me and I have some of my own versions.  “Nothing good happens after the bars close”, etc.  But if we think about these verses and then look at how our society is now, they are still very relevant and not just to the extremes.  I am guilty of doing things after dark that I would be less likely to do during the daylight.  Not necessarily bad things, but for example getting drunk and allowing a man who is unknown to me dance inappropriately with me.  That situation is not uncommon for a lot of single 20 something females.  Now there may be some people thinking “I do that during the day light” and I am sure it happens, but is the bar/club lit?  My guess is, it is not.  The mood inside the bar/club is that of night.  Lights off, only dimly lit.  This is because people are more free with the lights off.  I have never seen a dance floor with every single light on full.  Shoot, even at wedding receptions the lights are dimmed for the dance.  I am fully aware that not all sin happens after dark and that not all Christians behave differently after dark.  I, myself, have already made that change in my life.  Not only do I just not go out as much, I do my best to act as a lady no matter what time of day it is.

Do you behave differently when the sun goes down?

No comments:

Post a Comment