Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"I wish I had..."

Day 4 - Genesis 15-18

Genesis 18:15 "Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, "I did not laugh." But He said, "Yes, you did laugh."

Isn't it interesting what we say and do when we are afraid?  Even though the Lord was in Sarah's presence she still lied because she was afraid.  This takes me back to when i was a kid and my parents caught me red-handed doing something yet I would still say I didn't do it because I was afraid.  Why aren't we fearful of what will happen if we lie, we only think of what will happen if we tell the truth.  Why is it that those consequences always seem so much worse then the consequences of telling a lie?  What good has ever come from a lie, only good comes from truth, but we don't think about that.  And what about the times we lie when the truth needs to be said.  We even lie not because we are afraid of the bad that will happen, but we lie because we are truly afraid of the possible joy and good that could happen.  For example, instead of saying "I love you" we say nothing.  why do we worry so much about not hearing those words back?  What is greater then love and shouldn't it be selfless?  We say that it is, but when we don't say it aren't we being selfish because we are afraid we won't hear it back?  That is not selfless love, that is love with the expectation of love in return.  Why do we risk so much possibility of love and joy because we are afraid we won't hear "I love you" back.  Someone once told me that they couldn't believe that I love so hard and that I don't fear the what if.  It isn't that I don't fear the what if, I fear the having to say "I wish I had..."  there are situations in my pas that I think "I wish I had" and that is far worse of a feeling then any other risk out there.  So I continue to challenge myself to live without the "I wish I had..."

No comments:

Post a Comment