Thursday, August 26, 2010

Women Creatures

Day 8 - Genesis 34-36 & 1 Chronicles 1:28-2:2 (8/26/10)

Genesis 24

So tonight I picked this chapter because all through Genesis women have been taken as wives in exchange for property (animals, riches, land, etc.).  Women don't have much of a choice in the matter.  Their fathers decide for them.  Now I know this practice was in place for long after this time period, but it gets me thinking about womens' roles in todays society.

Note:  I believe this journal entry may cause some negative uproar in my fellow females, but please keep an open mind and know I understand no two women are alike and that this is just one thought process of mine. :)

I think that women have got to be the most confusing and most indecisive creatures out there.  After years of women before us fighting to get out of the kitchen and into the workplace, we sit today and get upset when men don't want to take care of us.  I have to admitt that I use to be one of those women who wanted a career, wanted to be successful, wanted to be as good if not better then my male counterparts.  Then I would get upset when a man would expect me to take care of myself, whether it be a meal on a date or emotionally or whatever.  It took me a few years of dating to realize that although I don't want my father to pick my husband (however maybe he would do a better job then me at the rate I am going), I do want a man to be my man, to be my rock.  I still believe that in a relationship men and women should be mostly equal, but I think society has made it difficult for girls to grow up as true stong women and boys to grow up to be men.  Us women expect so much from men, yet we don't always allow them to be men.  When I look back on my dating history I would get upset when someone I was trying to date wouldn't step up and be a man, but I recently realized I never allowed them to do what I wanted.  To point out a few things:  I wanted a man to pay for our meal on a date, but I would ask if he wanted me to get my portion.  I wanted a man to initiate communication with me, but instead of giving him time to do so I would initiate the communication.  I wanted a man to come up with date ideas, but I would always suggest things instead of giving him time to voice his ideas.  Why do women do these things?  Are we so sure that we can do anything that we try to be both the man and the woman in the relationship?  Daily I pray and challenge myself to be a woman that will allow the man I will eventually have in my life to be the man I know he can be and the man I want and need in my life as a partner.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! So convicting...even being married!

    How often do I step on Jon's toes, but my desire if for him to lead.

    I think these are great thoughts Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete