Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fear, A Motivator

Day 7 - Genesis 29-33

Genesis 32 - Jacob prepares to meet Esau

In this chapter we read about all the things Jacob did to prepare for when he was to meet Esau and the four hundred men that were with Esau.  Not only did Jacob divide his belongings and relatives and servants he also prepared gifts of his possession for his brother in hopes to be looked upon with favor in Esau's eyes.  Jacob did all of this because he was afraid.  What do we do when we are afraid?  Do we make a plan and follow through?  Not very often.  Do we prepare gifts for those we are fearful of?  Not really.  What do we do?  I know what I do... I either avoid the situation completely or I take the taurean route and strike with my horns and hope it all turns out for the best.  Neither is a very good option.  Why do we take either one extreme or the other?  Why don't we search for the middle ground?  The most pleasing route for everyone.  Fear is a huge motivator, but how does it motivate you?  Does it motivate you to do good or bad or nothing?  I pray the next time I am afraid, I allow it to motivate me in a positive way.  The bull horns will have to be put away for that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment